Hometown Tales Podcast

Friday, February 04, 2005

The Goat Man of Lake Worth

I had dinner recently with my favorite Texan, Warren White of Ft. Worth. (Gene & I know him from our day jobs. The day jobs that have so rudely kept us from producing Episode 8.) After a frenzied conversation on the merits of the movie "Soylent Green", I got around to hitting him up for some tales from the Lone Star State.

"Not the Marfa lights," I said, "Give me something that we ain't heard of in Jersey."
"You heard of the Goat Man of Lake Worth? Half Goat, Half Man."
"No."
"Well there you go."

Well, there I went. Here's the tale of the Goat Man of Lake Worth:
 
The Summer of 69. High school kids drinking by Lake Worth. Sightings of a hairy, half man/half monster. A Texas Bigfoot or a deranged hermit seeking the solace of a remote island? According to local legend, the Goat Man lived on an island in Lake Worth, which was easily accessible to the lake shore. Kids and their beers could wade through the shallow water to the island in minutes. Tales quickly spread of a 7-foot-tall, 300-pound Goat Man hurling trash, rocks and old tires "Like a frisbee" at the teenaged intruders.

From Sallie Ann Clarke's "The Lake Worth Monster":

"It was not bobcat nor was it a sheep skin. It wasn't a person dressed in a Halloween costume. It was really the terrorizing monster. It stood on its hind feet and ran like a man. It had white hair over most of its body and scales, too. It was a goat-fish-man. I'm sure it stood about six feet and nine inches tall and was undressed (It didn't have any clothes on). It looked like it weighed 250 or 260 pounds ... It was the most pathetic sound I have ever heard. It went Grrrrrr, Brrr, Yeeeepe, Yuuuuuuuuuuu, and sounded almost as if it would cry any minute from the great pain it was in."

Grrrr, Brrrrr, Yeeeeepe, Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?

I can't help but think of "Yeeeeepe, Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" with a Texas accent. Of course if I saw the goat man hurling a tire at me I'd stop laughing and run like those kids did back in the sumemr of 1969 (only 3 years before the release of "Soylent Green").