Hometown Tales Podcast

Monday, November 15, 2004

Kentucky Machine Gun Festival

If you've been watching Hometown Tales for a while, you've likely noticed that I take a couple road trips each year searching for little gems of Americana. One thing you're bound to find along the nation's blue highways is our unyielding love for festivals: the Bean Soup of McClure, PA, the Chile Cookoff of Hatch, NM, Mike the Headless Chicken Day in Fruita, CO.

And this April, I've set my sites on what could be my very last HT road trip. The World's Largest Machine Gun Shoot in Westpoint, Kentucky.

Here's a description from the web:

"Guns, Guns, and more Guns! A gun-lovers paradise is found in Westpoint, Kentucky at the World's Largest Machine Gun Shoot. Participants bring guns of all kinds to partake in this event and even a tank or two has made an appearance ... This gun extravaganza features the Saturday Night Shoot in which the whole crew gathers to fire their weaponry and light up the sky; and of course guns which you can buy, sell, or trade with exhibitors from all over the world."

I can even rent a gun of I forget my own!